RE: Install Problem - Fails on Boot

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, C. Falconer wrote:

> As for the booting problem...  can you try poping out the sound card and
> modem in the meantime?  This is more to rule out some possibilities rather
> than fix the problem.

I tried that and nothing changed, it still crashed in the same place.  I
tried also to load Mandrake 6.1 which one time would not make the hard
drive bootable or create a boot floppy and the other time it crashed
copying files.  I then tried Red Hat 6.1 which both times crashed at
various places in installing the packages.  I don't know what EIDE
controller I have.  I always had trouble with this computer with Windows95
which I always assumed to be windows, but maybe it is the computer.  I
might try potato in a few days and see what that does.  At least Debian
has been consistent in what step it fails on.

Any other suggestions on what could be causing the conflict?

> Could it be a Pentium 133?  or a Pentium 166 MMX ?  there were no MMX cpus
> lower than 166.
My mistake.  It is a 166 with MMX. I also use a Pentium 133 that runs DOS
and I must have momentarily switched the numbers.

Thanks for the advice,
Janet