Re: apt-get new helixcode gnome

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:11:53AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> Rogerio Brito <rbrito@iname.com> wrote on 05/06/2000 (01:06) :
> > On Jun 04 2000, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:
> > > I think I read somewhere in the Helix site that Helix Gnome was made
> > > available for woody only, and that they were not sure if it'd work
> > > for potato...
> >
> > 	Unlike the previous posters, I've had no problems using Helix
> > 	Gnome with potato. It works flawlessly (and I've even mirrored
>
> Gnome working flawless, that sounds like an oxymoron, but then again I
> haven't tried Gnome 1.2 yet. Now that I have finally got hold of some
> potato ISO images I can. But why does the Helix Code page say that it
> works with woody and not potato too? Have you a "pure" potato
> installation?

Well, I have to say most everything is working pretty well -- much
better than earlier incarnations.  In order to make the transition to
the helix-gnome stuff though, I had to first remove all the original
Debian gnome stuff.  That was kind of a pain, and it remains to be seen
how well the two systems will get along.  That is, the Debian folks
upgrade something that's also provided by the helix folks and a
difference in implementation causes some weird conflict... Could be a
problem.  The helix gnome also has a few packages that clobber stuff
that's also provided by other helix gnome packages. A definite no-no.  I
had the same experience, though, when using the kde debs from tdyc.
Perhaps Debian should choose to mirror the helix stuff instead of
duplicating it, provided the developers making the debs can be made
"Debian" developers and they follow the policy.  BTW, beware the gads of
themes that come with task-helix-gnome! Lot's of disk space and longer
downloads required.

--
daw daw dit, daw daw daw, daw dit dit dit daw, dit dit daw dit,
dit dit, dit dit dit, dit dit dit dit, daw dit dit dit daw,