Re: Fetchmail

You're not running a mail transfer agent.  Check that you have installed one
of sendmail, postfix, exim, qmail, smail, (any others that I'm unaware of).

If you're trying to run from inetd, check that your /etc/inetd.conf is
configured correctly.  For example, on one of my simple hosts, I have:

odin@bolverk:[~]$ grep smtp /etc/inetd.conf
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

Run:
# killall -HUP inetd
as root to make sure that the inetd that is running knows about the
contents of this configuration file.

Otherwise, look through your /etc/init.d directory for scripts named after
the above mentioned programs, and start it, for example:

# /etc/init.d/sendmail start

Test this by running 'telnet localhost 25' you should see something like:

odin@bolverk:[~]$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bolverk ESMTP Exim 3.12 #1 Sat, 03 Jun 2000 23:42:55 -0400

As far as an easy to use mail user agent goes, I'd suggest pine (in spite of
the bad license, so no-one flame me for that one).  It's not the easiest to
get going, though, since you need to build it from source.  Fortunately, the
Debian packages make this easy.

# apt-get install pine396-src pine396-diffs

then look in /usr/src and follow the directions which are clearly
documented.

You might want to use the mailer that comes with Netscape if you want
something graphical.  If you do that, then you can skip the whole process of
setting up a mail transfer agent, but you will lose some functionality that
you may (or may not) miss as you become a more advanced user of the system.

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human