Re: Samba printing question

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 07:41:07PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 10:57:52AM +1200, C. Falconer wrote:
> > Specifically about your question, I don't know.... but I have a DJ 850 here
> > shared via samba (off the linux machine) and my win9x boxes have the HP
> > driver for the 850 (1)
> >
> > Why do you need to use a laserwriter driver?
> >
> > (1)	the HP drivers give much better quality colour than Micros~1 supplied
> > drivers
>
> Probably, but the 520 is a black & white printer.  It was my
> understanding that I needed to use a driver which output a format which
> magicfilter understood.  That's the way I have set up printcap anyway,
> but there are other ways to do it. Therefore I picked a postscript
> driver.  The HP drivers I have for the 520 predate Windows 95.

There should be 520 drivers (or at least 500 drivers--which should work)
included with win95.  Try this, it's really a better solution because your
Linux machine won't have to process postscript to the dj520 native protocol.

Magicfilter is smart enough to deal with this (that's why it's magic :)

Disclaimer:  I have no idea why you're getting the weird output.  I have
done what you're trying to do with two printers (a bjc4000 and a LaserJet
Series II) and both accept both postscript and their native language.  It
will be interesting if this solves your problem but by no means answers the
question of why that text is appearing there.  I'd love to hear if you ever
find out why.

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human