Re: KDE & GNOME (was: Making documentation easier to find)

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:10:57PM +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> >If you are running KDE,
>
> I'm currently using Slink 2.1r4. Is KDE in potato? I don't think I have
> seen a package with KDE on my two CD's. I saw gnome, with big warning
> labels saying thinks like "!!!WARNING!!! ALPHA software! This is very buggy
> and horrible and you don't want it".

If you're upgrading to potato, GNOME shouldn't be too bad.  You could
also try the Helix-GNOME...? [http://www.helixcode.com/]

> If I've got it right, there are two 'somethings': KDE and GNOME, and they
> work at the same level. And there are window managers, which work at
> another level.

Isn't Another Level a fvwm configuration? :)

> What are KDE and GNOME, what is the right word? Do you have to have
> one of them? I have no icons on my desktop, although staroffice
> told me it was going to install one...

KDE and GNOME are desktop environments.  No, you don't have to have
one.  If you don't, Star Office can't install an icon.

> What I've heard, KDE is trying to look like windows, and GNOME isn't.
> Right? I'm a bit confused.

IMHO, they both look quite a bit like Windows.  Of course, both are
configurable.  GNOME is written with the gtk+ toolkit (is that
redundant?) and KDE with qt from TrollTech.

[snip]

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

I cannot overemphasize the importance of good grammar.
.
What a crock.  I could easily overemphasize the importance of good
grammar.  For example, I could say: "Bad grammar is the leading cause
of slow, painful death in North America," or "Without good grammar, the
United States would have lost World War II."
                -- Dave Barry, "An Utterly Absurd Look at Grammar"