Re: KDE & GNOME (was: Making documentation easier to find)

On Tue, 30 May 2000, David Henningsson wrote:

> >If you are running KDE,
>
> I'm currently using Slink 2.1r4. Is KDE in potato? I don't think I have
> seen a package with KDE on my two CD's. I saw gnome, with big warning
> labels saying thinks like "!!!WARNING!!! ALPHA software! This is very buggy
> and horrible and you don't want it".

KDE is not in Debian, or contrib or non-free.
Checkout: http://kde.tdyc.com/ and ftp://kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde/debian

> If I've got it right, there are two 'somethings': KDE and GNOME, and they
> work at the same level. And there are window managers, which work at
> another level. What are KDE and GNOME, what is the right word? Do you have
> to have one of them? I have no icons on my desktop, although staroffice
> told me it was going to install one...

KDE and Gnome are `desktop environments' (DE), you can make your own by
installing a window manager, session management, and a bunch of
utilities.  The advantage to using a prepackaged DE, rather than
building one yourself, is that all the fiddly little bits are already
done for you and everything should work together `right out of the box'.
The disadvantage is that they tend to be large, and could easily become
bloated (some would say they already are :).

> What I've heard, KDE is trying to look like windows, and GNOME isn't.
> Right? I'm a bit confused.

Well, I don't have much experience with Windows, but...
The KDE default is to have a Windows style, but you can change it to
look like Motif (I've never seen Motif, so can only assume I haven't
been lied to) easily enough.  As far as I'm concerned, they all pretty
much work the same way; whether you click on a `Start' icon or the
background, to get a main menu is trivial.  KDE is very configurable,
and I assume Gnome is also (but it keeps crashing on me so I haven't
bother with it much).

> When I read some docs in emacs, I find that the headlines are filled with
> "^" and "~" and perhaps "_" among the chars. What reader should I use to
> read these docs?

headlines??  I'm not sure what you are referring to.  I've noticed that
some editors (viewers?) place tildes (~) on lines they display that are
not actually in the file being viewed...

I use "zless"; actually, I told GIT to use zless as its pager.

later,

	Bruce