KDE & GNOME (was: Making documentation easier to find)

>If you are running KDE,

I'm currently using Slink 2.1r4. Is KDE in potato? I don't think I have
seen a package with KDE on my two CD's. I saw gnome, with big warning
labels saying thinks like "!!!WARNING!!! ALPHA software! This is very buggy
and horrible and you don't want it".

If I've got it right, there are two 'somethings': KDE and GNOME, and they
work at the same level. And there are window managers, which work at
another level. What are KDE and GNOME, what is the right word? Do you have
to have one of them? I have no icons on my desktop, although staroffice
told me it was going to install one...

What I've heard, KDE is trying to look like windows, and GNOME isn't.
Right? I'm a bit confused.

>All the info needed is already in the dpkg DB, you just have to parse
>/var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.list (via "dpkg -L <package>", maybe) and
>extract the locations of anything that profiles like a doc file.
>Figuring out what is a doc file, and what kind it is (Manual, FAQ,
>ReadMe, Examples, etc.) is the tricky part...

When I read some docs in emacs, I find that the headlines are filled with
"^" and "~" and perhaps "_" among the chars. What reader should I use to
read these docs?

/ David