RE: apache virtual hosts

> What ways are there to create virtual hosts in apache? Is it _necessary_

The easiest way is name virtual hosting.  This requires only one IP address
for all of your virtual hosts.  This will not work with some very old
browsers.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Netscape and IE both work fine with
it.  Note that I downloaded apache and compiled it myself.  That is why the
directory is /usr/local.  Debian won't put stuff there, so make sure you
change the example below for your needs.  In the httpd.conf file, this stuff
starts at or below line 900.  An example of my httpd.conf file:

******************** start of example

NameVirtualHost 209.251.21.158

<VirtualHost www.desinc.com>
    ServerName www.desinc.com
    ServerAdmin pmchale@doubleesolutions.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.desinc.com
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
    ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.desinc.com/logs/error_log
    TransferLog /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.desinc.com/logs/access_log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.doubleesolutions.com>
    ServerName www.doubleesolutions.com
    ServerAdmin pmchale@doubleesolutions.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.doubleesolutions.com
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
    ErrorLog
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.doubleesolutions.com/logs/error_log
    TransferLog
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/www.doubleesolutions.com/logs/access_log
</VirtualHost>

******************** end of example

Good luck,

paul

--
Paul McHale
   Work:   937-253-7610          Double E Solutions