Using gnuserv (Re: bigots - was Emacs - was Mail/news software)

Here's why I use gnuserv all the time.

Say I in a shell in a directory called
/deb/potato/home/rhogee/deb/gri/CVS/gri/doc/cookbook
and I want to edit a file in Emacs.  I could go in Emacs and type
C-x C-f and then type in (or cut/paste) the whole path.  That's
arduous.

Instead, if I want to edit a file called Makefile, from the shell I type

 $ e Makefile

and it magically pops up in Emacs.

How to set it up (in slink anyway):

Step 1)  install the gnuserv package

Step 2)  insert the following in your ~/emacs file :

           (gnuserv-start)

Step 3)  Optionally, create a short-cut alias name for `gnuclient -q`
         by inserting the following in your shell startup file,
         ~/.tcshrc for me

           alias e gnuclient -q

Step 4)  start Emacs

Step 5)  type from the shell:

           $ e somefile
         or
           $ gnuclient -q somefile

Step 6)  Oh wait... There's no step 6!  :-)

Peter