Re: module loading problems

Quoting ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi (ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi):

> He downloaded kernel version 2.2.9.
>
> It was my first time installing a kernel
> and we read from various sources before he
> became impatient. We then did the following:
>
> tar xzf /usr/src/kernel...tar.gz
> .
> .
> .
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> dpkg -i ../kernel-image..deb
>
> With the new kernel installed we get the following
> messages:
> .
> .
> .
> calculating module dependencies ...done
> snbfs can't locate module snbfs
> nfs can't locate module nfs
> ip_alias can't locate module ip_alias
> rarp can't locate module rarp
> cyclades can't locate module cyclades
> serial can't locate module serial
> 3c509 can't locate module 3c509
> ppp /lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol kmalloc_R93d4cfe6
> /lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol print_Rdd172261
> /lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol kfree_R037a0cba
> slhc:No such file or directory

The usual reason is that you need to edit /etc/modules.
When you installed, you probably loaded some modules at
the appropriate stage, and this writes these module names into
/etc/modules.

Now you've installed a new kernel, and it has different things
built in and different things compiled as modules. But when you
boot up, the init.d scripts will try to modprobe or insmod all
the modules listed in /etc/modules. Some may now be built in,
some you may not have built, etc.

> It a little irrating booting and rebooting just so as to be
> able to read boot messages.

Just press Shift-PageUp/PageDown (and don't switch VCs) to read
the boot up stuff.

Cheers,