module loading problems

I was asked by a friend to help him install
debian onto one of his computers.He downloaded
the programs allowing him to install the base
system, which we did.

We used a cdrom I Got from the book Debian
GNU/linux 2.1 unleased, and installed the
packages that would allow us to compile a
new kernel.

He downloaded kernel version 2.2.9.

It was my first time installing a kernel
and we read from various sources before he
became impatient. We then did the following:

tar xzf /usr/src/kernel...tar.gz
.
.
.
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image..deb

With the new kernel installed we get the following
messages:
.
.
.
calculating module dependencies ...done
snbfs can't locate module snbfs
nfs can't locate module nfs
ip_alias can't locate module ip_alias
rarp can't locate module rarp
cyclades can't locate module cyclades
serial can't locate module serial
3c509 can't locate module 3c509
ppp /lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol kmalloc_R93d4cfe6
/lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol print_Rdd172261
/lib/modules/2.2.9/net/slhc.o unresolved symbol kfree_R037a0cba
slhc:No such file or directory
.
.
.

Has any one got any idea what the problem might be ?

Two questions:

1)
Obviously it is to do with the loading of modules but I can't
why they are being loaded they are in /lib/modules/2.2.9. It
seems however that ppp has been loaded but requires slhc
which has also not been located (it is also in /lib/mod..).
Can anyone help. It would be nice to find out why this problem
is occuring and not just reinstall everthing. I have already
learnt alot searching through various archives on linux in
search of a solution.

2)
How can I get dmesg or some log file to save a complete list
of all the messages that the kernel prints when it is booting.
It a little irrating booting and rebooting just so as to be
able to read boot messages.

Tia

T:Irvine