Re: Outside subsystem installed, packages unaware, dselect trying to help...

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 10:26:10AM -0500, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> equiv is helpful!
  ^^^^^ <--- this should be equivs

> Is it best that Debian packages are parallel to all of these various
> outside universes? Or is there a way that a Debian package can just grab
> the lastest from SUn, and then note that you now have it?

I guess it depends upon how close you want to stay to the bleeding edge.
For me, tracking the unstable distribution for packages which I am in
keeps me close enough. Most of the Debian developers do a pretty good
job of keeping up with the upstream releases, and if there's a lag it
is frequently because there are difficulties in getting the package to
work with the overall Debian distribution. In that case I am perfectly
happy letting the developers get all of the kinks worked out.

I suppose if you are the type who gets source straight out of CVS
to compile it you could put something in your makefile to keep equivs
happy.

dt

--
Dave Thayer