Re: man --> info?

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 06:50:43AM -0500, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> Why are man pages abandoned for info?

They aren't for everything...

> Info requires emacs knowledge to navigate, and are text only. Man at least
> has xman viewer.

Well, there's the standalone info program, tkinfo, the
gnome-help-browser... others I'm sure.

> Is there any option? Have man pages been html'ed for Debian? I have seen
> some INternet sites with man pages online..

Documentation comes in many formats.  Perhaps you'd enjoy the dhelp
package.  It's not perfect, but it works through your browser and will
render info and man pages as html on the fly using (info2www and
man2html).

Admittedly, the state of documentation formats/programs could be a
little better.  I guess the move is toward SGML/XML/HTML... Overall
registration/indexing is not consistent though.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.