Re: man --> info?

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:29:11AM -0500, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> At 02:33 AM 05/18/2000 -0600, Dave Thayer wrote:
>
> >I think that the package you're looking for is dwww. It needs an httpd
> >installed (boa is nice and lightweight), but it is well worth it.
>
> Dave, thanks a lot.
>
> I want to try it, but apt-get wants to re-install an entire server and
> tools for me, I have a stable apache+jserv, and don't want to install
> another http server.
>
> Any way to convince apt to just get the add-on tool?
>
> Greg
> --------------------------
> alpha{root}.1: apt-get install dwww
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    ncsa apache-ssl apache-common roxen-pike apache roxen boa cern-httpd
> ssleay dhttpd
>    libssl09

YOW! I bet you rolled your own apache rather than installing one from a
deb package and this is apt's way of telling you that it wants something
that provides an httpd: by trying to install all of 'em. If this is the
case, have a look at the equivs package. It allows you to install a fake
package which can meet other packages' dependencies.

BTW, I installed dhelp from potato, and it also provides an info browser
function. It still needs an httpd, though.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA