Re: Upgrading to "potato"

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:51:19PM +0300, Lehel Bernadt wrote:

> No, dselect will not try to install everything, but I suggest to use apt-get
> only and not bother with dselect's apt method. It will give you a bunch of
> dependency problems, and screw up your existing configuration.

Odd, since i use the dselect apt method all the time and it has never
screwed up my configuration or given me major dependancy problems (do
note though that dselect treats 'Recommends' as 'Depends' for some
reason).

> apt-get is much easier and cleaner to use, and it will handle the
> upgrade intelligently (for documentation check the manpages of apt-get
> and sources.list).

Since the dselect apt method uses apt-get to do the actual download and
upgrade, dselect with the apt method should be just as intelligent as
apt-get.

That said, i'd recommend apt-get for doing a dist-upgrade since dselect
doesn't really support that directly. Normal upgrades work fine with
either.

--
  finger for GPG public key.