RE: Upgrading to "potato"

On 15-May-2000 David E. Young wrote:
> Greetings. I am brand new to Debian, but a long-time Linux
> user/administrator (mostly RedHat).
>
> I've installed Debian 2.1 from CD onto my SPARC IPX; the process went
> flawlessly and the system is running fine. I would like to try an
> upgrade to the upcoming 2.2 release, primarily because I'd like the
> experience of an ftp upgrade with dselect/apt.
>
> I believe I've determined most of the proper steps; use dselect,
> choose the "apt" option during "access", use the "frozen"
> distribution, etc. However, I'd feel better if there was a
> step-by-step guide to this process. For example, during the initial
> installation of 2.1 I chose one of the standard configurations, then
> augmented it with some additional networking stuff. I want to maintain
> this identical configuration yet upgrade to 2.2. Will dselect handle
> this for me, or will it try and install everything? Perhaps I should
> use APT instead (apt-get dist-upgrade)?

No, dselect will not try to install everything, but I suggest to use apt-get
only and not bother with dselect's apt method. It will give you a bunch of
dependency problems, and screw up your existing configuration.apt-get is much
easier and cleaner to use, and it will handle the upgrade intelligently
(for documentation check the manpages of apt-get and sources.list).