Re: bigots - was Emacs - was Mail/news software

  Oki> On 5 May 2000, john s jacobs anderson wrote:

  >> The point is, emacsen are designed to be *modular*. If you don't
  >> want to load those things, then don't load them

  Oki> I'd like to have rmail "module" to be able to use an smtp and
  Oki> pop server which are not on port 25 and 110 respectively. The
  Oki> question is: how?  (doing a quick hack on the .el files would
  Oki> be too much for me).

I have absolutely no idea. 8^)=

However, I'm sure someone on comp.emacs or comp.emacs.xemacs does --
the large, friendly user community is another reason that the emacsen
are good for newbies.

I also think that the question is slightly more advanced than 'raw
newbie' level, for what it's worth. I mean, you're going to probably
have to end up reading documentation, regardless of what your system is.

  >> Just realize that this cuts both ways -- you like pico, or joe,
  >> or ae, or (n)vi(m) -- whatever works for you is good.

  Oki> Yes, loading xemacs for just editing /etc/networks and
  Oki> /etc/hosts is a bit overkill; for the task, I choose vi (yes,
  Oki> sure, ???? happens, but the files are small and esc-:-q! is
  Oki> quite dependable).

Oh, I'm with you -- I'll often use vi for small edits, even if I have
XEmacs open on another desktop, just because doing the edit 'in-line'
in an xterm fits my work-flow better. Again, it's all about choosing
the right tool for the job.

john.

           [ John S Jacobs Anderson ]------><URL:mailto:jacobs@genehack.org>
[ Genehack: Not your daddy's weblog ]------><URL:http://genehack.org>