Re: cable modem

Hi all

>I am a newbie with a newly installed slink.  I am trying to get online
>(Cable Modem - Road Runner) but not having much luck.

Have set up one, too, just not Road Runner. First had some
incompatibility problem with "dhclient", so I ended up using "dhcpcd".

>I installed dhcpcd and it appears to start on startup.

Is it really up? A "ps x|grep dhcpcd" will do for that.

>eth0   Linkencap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:25:68:A0:CC:25:68:A0
>           unspec addr:[NONE SET] Bcast:[NONE SET] Mask:[NONE SET]

Looks like your card has been identified, but has simply not been given
any IP yet.
In that case try "killall dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0".
Whilst doing that, I suggest you "tail -f /var/log/messages" on a
different terminal. That should be fairly informative.

>dmesg gives alternating:
>
>eth0:  Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6 00420000
>eth0:  Changing PNIC configuration to half-duplex, CSR6  01860000

Dunno whether that's a problem...? Doesn't sound like it, anyway.

Tell me if this helped...

HTH
Sven