re: cable modem

Hi Sven,

Thanks for responding to my question, I do appreciate it.  I have tried
what you suggested and this is what I got:

>>I installed dhcpcd and it appears to start on startup.
>Is it really up? A "ps x|grep dhcpcd" will do for that.

When I did that it said:
183  1   S  0:00 grep dhcpcd
When I did it again it said nothing.

>Looks like your card has been identified, but has simply not been given
>any IP yet.
>In that case try "killall dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0".

When I did that it said:
no process killed

The reason I thought dhcpcd was up is because on startup it says:
Starting DHCP client daemon:  dhcpcd

and on shutdown it says:
Stopping DHCP client daemon:  dhcpcd

One thing I noticed was that the man pages mentions two files that are
supposed to exist with DHCP that I dont have:

/etc/dhcpc/host-eth0
/var/run/dhcpcd-cashe.eth0

Do you have any more ideas?

Thanks again,