X color depth

Hello...

How can I set my X color depth to be more than 8 bpp (say... like 16 or
24)?

Does this have anything to do with my video card config? (I think I've set
up my S3 Savage 3D card correctly...)

When we were still using RedHat 6.2, we had no problem: our X display was
fascinating! It even looked better than Windows (shudder)! ;-p

OK! Thanks!

Urip Hudiono
Bandung, Indonesia

PS: Thanks for all the "how to close ports" answer...
    Geez... I'm always asking questions here...
    I promise I'll "upgrade" from newbie as soon as possible... :-p