Re: Dumb; help! I removed a mounted floppy

'kill -9' (or 'kill -s KILL' for the mnemonic-dependent) does not work.

I have a UNIX book that says in a footnote, "...kill may not always
work...for instance, if the process invoked a device driver that is stuck
waiting for a response from the device.  In that case the signal will wait
indefinitely for recognition with no indication of what is happening."
(Abrams, Paul W. and Bruce R. Larson, _UNIX for the Impatient, 2nd ed_, p.
32)  This sounds like my situation all right.

One kind soul has so far sent me an alternate suggestion which I will try
after some sleep.  It if comes to a reboot (dread!), anything to watch out
for?  Thanks.	-Eric Worden