Re: lilo mbr on hda with linux on hdc?

>> I have a machine with two hard disks here, that other OS resides
>> on hda and I added the second drive (hdc) for Debian. The setup
>> installed a MBR on hdc, but my BIOS only supports booting from
>> hda. Is there a way to install lilo in the MBR on hda and have
>> it boot linux from hdc1?
>>
>lilo.conf: change the boot=/dev/hdc into boot=/dev/hda
>image=/dev/hdc1 should be already there and it is fine.
>and an option other=/dev/hda1 is needed for booting the other os.

> I tried that, but LILO hangs with LI-. I did run lilo to update

What LI means: LI

The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot loader,
but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a geometry
mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.

What I think is that you need to have the /boot directory with all its files
on the boot=/dev/???. The two important files are /boot/map and /boot/boot.b
. With the option map=/boot/map and install=/boot/boot.b you can specify
where those two files are, but only relative two boot=/dev/???. (At least
that's my understanding)
What I suggest is create a small partition with the contends of the /boot
directory say /dev/hda1, and mount /dev/hda1 under /boot. And try to
configure as follows,

boot=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
root=dev/hdc

You could first try this on a floppy (so that you don't need to
repartition). I don't know whether it is possible to actually keep the files
in /boot on a dos or vfat partition (might be another possibility)

For further information:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html#toc4,
and
http://www.spade.com/linux/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html#toc12

These are standard HOWTO's that you should also have on your system.
Cheers,
Jo

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com