Now Can't Mount the CDROM

Hi,

    Thanks everyone for your help so far.  I was able to get the cdrom module
installed by using modconf.  Now, however, I can't get the cdrom to mount,
and the archives and howtos are of no help.  Using the normal mount command,
I get "special device does not exist" or "sonycd is not a block device",
basically no matter what.  The same thing happens when trying to install
applications from dselect: nothing I type in is recognized as a block device.
 This is on a 486 with a Sony CDU33A cdrom.  Using lsmod the device driver
for the cdrom does show up.
    Any tips/strategies?  Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Manu

In a message dated 5/3/00 2:48:48 AM EST, bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca writes:

<<
 I mean, which Compact Disc vendor (CheapBytes, O'Rielly, etc.).

    It's O'Reilly.

 >     I was able to successfully install and configure the base system by
using
 > floppies (I needed the drivers disk and the 8 base 14 floppies).  However,
no
 > module worked for my CD-ROM drive.  The closest one was the Sony CDU31A,
but
 > it didn't work (I got a "device in use" and two syntax error messages).
Does
 > anyone have any suggestions for how to get the system to recognize the
CD-ROM
 > drive now?

 That is the correct driver, it works for both cdu31a and cdu33a using
 /dev/sonycd.  As root: "lsmod" will tell you if the sonycd.o module is
 already installed, if "grep sonycd /boot/System.map*" gets lot of hits
 then the driver is compiled into the kernel.