KDE & various deb - matters

Hi list!

I have set up everything necessary to get the right X-Server running. It runs fine, I'm using the Mach64 server for my ATI Rage Pro. When calling startx, I get to a "desktop" with just a single terminal opened. Doing Ctrl-D ends the session. I guess the next thing to do is to install a window manager, right?

I want KDE and so I wonder how I should install that? Which packages are necessary and is there anything additional I _should_ know about?

Which (K-)packages do you suggest me to install apart from that? One thing I'll surely _need_ is mail, of course. :-)
I'm pretty used to Outlook Express & Netscape's Mail, so what package would give me an appropriate K-replacement for those?

Apart from that debian runs happily & smoothly on my pII. :-)
Thinking of "moving" a suse box to debian.

Oh, yes, one last thing. I've built kernels before, just not on debian. So, to build a new kernel, I know I need the following packages for sure:

-gcc
-kernel-source (is that the package-name?)
-make
-libraries ... ?

Anything else? Probably ...

I also need a good way for finding package-names.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Sven