Re: KDE & various deb - matters

Hello Sven,

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Sven Burgener wrote:

> I guess the next thing to do is to install a window manager, right?

right. For best KDE-integration you could use Enlightenment (Though a
resource hog). If you want to use a lightweight alternative, you could use
blackbox. There are many other, check the package-description on the
debian web-page or in dselect under section X11. if you have
disc-space to waste you install some of them and check which
one you like best.

> I want KDE and so I wonder how I should install that? Which packages
> are necessary and is there anything additional I _should_ know about?

KDE does not come with the debian-distribution. But there are
installation-ready .deb-files at http://www.kde.org

> Which (K-)packages do you suggest me to install apart from that?

Look at kde's homepage (see above), depends on your needs.

> Oh, yes, one last thing. I've built kernels before, just not on debian.
> So, to build a new kernel, I know I need the following packages for
> sure:
>
> -gcc
> -kernel-source (is that the package-name?)
> -make
> -libraries ... ?
>
> Anything else? Probably ...

You could run dselect, choose select and look for package kernel-source.
in the info field, there should be an item like "depends on: this
package, that package, another package" and one
"recommends: this package, that package, another package".
There are sure more elegant ways to find out about dependencies, but I
think this one is quite easy, and you can browse through the list of
available packages for other things, you might need)
So you'll find out, what you need for kernel-compilation (it's in essence
the packages you mentioned above+libc6-dev. There are several packages to
make compilation more spiffy and easier, but they are not necessary, if
you're used to kernel-compilation, you will be able to do with the bare
minimum).

Regards,
Daniel