Re: cdrecord question

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 01:49:53PM -0400, Andrew Kae wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Matsushita (Panasonic) 7582 IDE cdr.  I've read
> through the CD-Writing Howto but I am still confused about
> one thing.
>
> Is it possible to write files and directories to a cd without making
> an image first?  I don't have 650 MB of my hard drive to spare for
> an image file.  In Windoze, Adaptec EZ-CD recorder can take in
> a list of files and then just burn them to a cd.  It seems to me the
> only way to make data cds is to make an image first and then use
> cdrecord to make the image into a cd.
>
> Can anyone help me out?

I use this little script to write on the fly (taken from the CD-Writing
HOWTO, IIRC):

#!/bin/sh -e

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
    echo Usage: `basename $0` "<dir>"
    exit 1
fi

if [ ! -d $1 ]; then
    echo "$1 is not a directory"
    exit 1
fi

mkisofs -r -J --quiet $1 | buffer -s 512k -m 2m | \
    cdrecord speed=4 dev=/dev/sg0 -data -

exit 0
##### end

Make sure you install the "buffer" and "mkisofs" packages, and also
check/change the device if needed (probably wont need to). Then run the
command like this:

(assuming you saved the above script as "onthefly" in your cwd)
chmod 755 onthefly # only need to run this the first time
./onthefly mycddir/

It will then take the contents of "mycddir/" and write that as the CD
root, without having to write an intermediate ISO image.

Ben