Re: Installing Debian from 2.1.R4 CD's...questions

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 05:18:25PM -0500, Ron Stordahl wrote:
[ snip ]
> No doubt you are right, but how would a novice like myself have known this?
> I am trying to follow the instructions carefully.  In doing so I am refering
> to:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-welcome.en.html
>
> which is the installation document.  No where in that document can I find
> anything which would have guided me to that conclusion.  Perhaps a brief
> sentence in the 'Select cdrom modules' screen would be in order?

Sounds like a good idea.

> So I appreciate your assistance as I go through the ambiguous directives in
> the install procedure.

Ron, I don't mean to pick on you  here as your point is taken, but I
often see post to debian-user which are somewhat hostile for some
reason or other, usually because the documentation didn't tell the
user exactly what to do in teeny steps.

Folks, most of the people on debian-user are USERS, not developers.
Therefore they're not guilty of any crimes against you, like writing
documentation that you don't like.  If you think of debian-user as a
community forum (like a coffee shop) rather than a meeting before the
feet of the gods (like city hall) and treat your audience with that
in mind, you'll often have better results.

If you find a problem with a package, you can (and should) submit a
bug.  There's even a package called "bug" that will help you do this!
Documentation nits can be filed as wishlist bugs.  If you know the
subject matter at and patches are (almost) always welcome.

In this case, Ron should have posted to debian-testing with concerns
regarding the ease of use (or lack thereof) of the boot-floppies.  I
realise this isn't explicitly spelled out anywhere in huge block
letters, but this IS Linux after all :)

I also notice that you're using slink which is over a year old ... you
should give the potato (or "frozen") distribution a try.  It's 99%
stable; I run it on about twenty machines with no ill effects.  The
potato installation procedure is far better than that on the slink
disks.

Note:  there is a known bug with the current potato boot-floppies;
modules often do not install due to borked symbols.  I don't know if
that's been fixed yet but unless you need a module to complete the
install (like a NIC module or something) you can get through the
install relatively painlessly.  You can then compile your own kernel
<plug>Use kernel-package !!!</plug> which is something you should do
anyway; the installation kernel is far too large.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/