Re: hacked?

hi ya...

btw...just curious...what does these command return ???
- a bunch of dumb silly tests...

root# egrep -i "failed|failure|refused|not allowed|illegal
   port|blocked|denied"  /var/log/{messages,syslog,xferlog}*

root# last
root# last -f /var/log/wtmp
root# last -f /var/run/utmp
root# cat /.bash_history

root# find / -name ... -ls

run tripwire, ssh, logcheck, portscan, tiger, crack on "trustable servers"
that others depend on it...

remember that a "typical" hacker will erase any "logs/info" about their
visit to your machine -- so you will not see anything...than you have
to go dig further...

security is a full time job...but...
common sense goes a lot further...if one does not have time ???

> ...and what are you doing allowing telnet in the first place?  While it
> can be slightly useful in a local network, it's a severely insecure
> protocol,

telnet is just as insecure as pop3 for emails...and insecure as ppp
dialups ( passwds in cleartext )...

build an insecure box..for all that "insecure stuff" if you want...
but it should never log into another box....since you are probably not
running ssh to connect to it in the first place...

have fun
alvin