Re: Upgrade to 500MHz and patching

At 20:55 23/04/00 +0100, you wrote:

I don't how the source tree becomes /usr/src/kernel-source-xxx either.
The official (Linus) kernels unpack into linux (so you'd unpack them
into /usr/src/linux, typically).  Somehow Debian repackages the
process, but I don't know how.  I don't think it matters for the
moment.

Alan seems to have produced the patches by diffing between two
directories linux.vanilla and linux.15p9 (for pre9).  So for most of
us, a patch from /usr/src won't work (since we won't have a directory
called linux.vanilla---nor do we want one).  The best option is, as
you did, to go into the linux directory, and use -p1 (to ignore the
linux.vanilla part of the filenames).

The prepatches are different from the patches between real released
versions (like 2.2.12 to 2.2.13): each one includes all the previous
changes.  Thus, to get from 2.2.14 to 2.2.15-pre15 (or whatever the
latest prepatch is), you just need a 2.2.14 source tree and the
2.2.15-pre15 patch.

I am most grateful to you for the explanations.

Everything is now fine and Debian shuts down normally.

I removed /usr/src/linux, patched again to 2.2.14 and applied
2.2.15pre9 - it took literally 5 mins and there were no errors.
Re-compiling the new kernel took just over 20 mins ( I'm getting
to understand now what options I need and what they involve ) -
the longest part of the process is making bzdisk ( I only boot
from floppies).

Again my gratitude.

Regards, John.