Re: Upgrade to 500MHz problems

John <joney@clara.co.uk> wrote:
> I've attempted to upgrade using 100MHz FSB for the first time. The new
> CPU is an AMD500K2, the Motherboard a Gigabyte GA-5AX (Rev5.2.x)
> (with ALi Aladdin chipset and Award bios) and a 64MB DIMM (100MHz).
> The machine is a standalone one with Win95 on a small partition on
> hda,
> Debian 2.1 (kernels 2.2.1 and 2.2.12) on hdb, and two other distros on
> smaller partitions. In the past, I've been lucky with upgrading - this
> time,
> however, I've problems and a puzzle.

Hi, John. I have the AT version of your motherboard, the GA-5AA. I too
have an AMD K6II-500 CPU.

A couple of things. If you go into the BIOS settings you will find an
option for loading failsafe settings (or some similar phrase). There are
two pre-set options, an optimum set which attempts to configure the
board with best-case settings, and the failsafe set which sets
everything consevatively and is designed for cases like yours. Load up
the failsafe set, and reboot. You should find that now all is well. The
technique now is to change things setting by setting until you get the
best settings for your system.

In my experience problems with 100 MHz Super Socket 7 motherboards is
*usually* related to memory. These boards use 100MHz memory and my
supplier tells me that they have a relatively high failure rate - I can
personally vouch for this as I build systems as a sideline. Bad memory
will cause the sort of problems you are seeing.

I have enable UDMA on my system too - get back to me if you want to set
this us - it reuires a patch to the kernel and a recompile.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000