Re: Initial debian problems

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 01:06:24PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote
> Hi all!
>
> I have a few questions. Firstly, how do I control the starting of services
> at boot? Eg. which services installed should be started and which
> shouldn't. Do I need to remove some links from the appropriate
> runlevel-dirs or is there a better way of doing that? I remember in suse,
> there was a general system-wide config-file called rc.local where I could
> just switch some flags to "NO".

Typically under Debian, you install only the services you want to run.
For more fine control you can use update-rc.d to specify for which runlevels
a stand-alone service is active, and update-inetd to control services
started by inetd.

> Secondly, how do I set the system-wide default keyboard map under debian?
> I saw that when booting, the map file loaded is /etc/kbd/default.map.gz.
> At first, I added a line containing the command "loadkeys" at the end of
> /etc/profile, but I think that's not too elegant, so what's the proper way
> of doing that?

I haven't had occasion to use it as the keyboard layout is set at install
time, but kbdconfig looks like it would do the trick.

> My last problem concerns dual-booting w/z lilo. I have dumped my current
> lilo.conf below. This setup causes me to reboot when I choose "win" at the
> lilo prompt. Any suggestions? My hw-setup is: hda is 20g primary master
> hd, where debian resides. hdb contains a single win-fat32 partition.
>
> *** lilo.conf ***
>
> boot=/dev/hda3
> root=/dev/hda3
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> prompt
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>  label=Linux
>  read-only
>
> other=/dev/hdb1
>  label=win
>  loader=/boot/chain.b
>  table=/dev/hdb
>
> *** lilo.conf ***
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Sven

I do OK with a similar lilo.conf by omitting the "loader=" and "table="
lines, but your problem may be that Windows won't load from a hard disk
other than the first hard disk; at least, that always used to be the case.

LILO and some BIOSes have options that may help you swap your hard
drive letters, but if this is the problem then it may be simpler to
swap the physical drives.

Good luck,

John P.
--