Re: Initial debian problems

Sven Burgener wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have a few questions. Firstly, how do I control the starting of services at boot? Eg. which services installed should be started and which shouldn't. Do I need to remove some links from the appropriate runlevel-dirs or is there a better way of doing that? I remember in suse, there was a general system-wide config-file called rc.local where I could just switch some flags to "NO".
>
> Secondly, how do I set the system-wide default keyboard map under debian? I saw that when booting, the map file loaded is /etc/kbd/default.map.gz. At first, I added a line containing the command "loadkeys" at the end of /etc/profile, but I think that's not too elegant, so what's the proper way of doing that?
>
> My last problem concerns dual-booting w/z lilo. I have dumped my current lilo.conf below. This setup causes me to reboot when I choose "win" at the lilo prompt. Any suggestions? My hw-setup is: hda is 20g primary master hd, where debian resides. hdb contains a single win-fat32 partition.
>
> *** lilo.conf ***
>
> boot=/dev/hda3
> root=/dev/hda3
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> prompt
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>  label=Linux
>  read-only
>
> other=/dev/hdb1
>  label=win
>  loader=/boot/chain.b
>  table=/dev/hdb
>
> *** lilo.conf ***
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Sven

Here is mine --

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdb3
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=40
map=/boot/map
vga=4

image=/vmlinuz
        label=slink
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
   label=95

/dev/hda1 is where my Windows resides.  /dev/hdb3 is where my Slink
resides. root=/dev/hda is where the mbr resides.  Looks like you might
need to change your "root=" parameter (I'm assuming your mbr is at
/dev/hda) and trim down your "other" section.  Sorry can't help with the
rest.
hth,
kent