Re: magicfilter vs. apsfilter

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with both of these filter packages? What are
> the notable differences?

Of the two I have always preferred Magicfilter because I found it easier
to set up and substitute my own filters etc. where necesssary. It does
have a config utility like apsfilter (magicfilterconfig).

> On another note, I wonder why neither of them seems to support hpdj
> driver by default...

They do. Whether you have the hpdj driver available or not depends on
whether it the Ghostscript you are using has been compiled with hpdj
support. If you do 'gs -h' you will see all the drivers your ghostscript
can use. If hpdj is on that list then you can use it. I know that
apsfilter will automatically detect it.

May I make a suggestion? Try installing printtool - it is available via
apt-get. Printtool offers a GUI for installing printers and when you go
to 'input filter/select' it should list all the drivers available on
your system. AFAIK it uses its own filters and has no need of
magicfilter or apsfilter. I always used to use it with RedHat and was
pleased when I found it was available for Debian too. I had always
assumed it was a RedHat/Caldera-only tool.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000