magicfilter vs. apsfilter

Hi !

Browsed through the Debian mailinglist archive concerning apsfilter.
Interesting ;-) Concerning your question ...

apsfilter 5.4.1 will support gs 6.01 + hpdj driver + additional 3rd party
driver from
internet. Using anonymous cvs you are able to checkout a -current snapshot of
my developement work, which will become 5.4.1 soon. See:

 http://www.freebsd.org/~andreas

There you can find informations in the "News" and "apsfilter" section, how you
can checkout the current apsfilter sources using remote cvs.
You need to have cvs (concurrent version system) for that purpose.

Otherwise please wait for the next upcoming release.

See the list of supported drivers using my CVS repository browser:

http://www.cosmo-project.de/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/apsfilter/setup/printer-6.01?
rev=1.7&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

BTW, best would be to contact the Debian Port Maintainer of the gs port
(I put him on Cc:) to perhaps include the same 3rd party driver as I did for
the FreeBSD port, to be generally in sync with apsfilters printer list.
This is a complete list of gs 6.01 supported printer + additional compiled in
3rd party driver, see below ...

Additionally he could add the contributed uniprint driver profiles, I got from
users
(which are additionally distributed with apsfilter and simply can be copied
into
gs libdir)

Maybe it would be an advantage, if Matej could take over maintainership
of the gs port. My experience as owner of gs and apsfilter port in FreeBSD
is, that "it%s a good thing (tm)". So apsfilter and gs are in sync. But that%s
only a proposal. It%s not necessarily needed.

Look at the URLs in the Makefile, to see, what additional things I added t
FreeBSDs gs 6.01 port:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/print/ghostscript6/Makefile?rev=1.48

In short:
# Additional Drivers:
# http://www.proaxis.com/~mgelhaus/linux/software/hp880c/hp880c.html
HP8XX_DRV=      gdevcd8.tar.gz
# HPDJ, additional driver for HP PCL3 Printers, by Martin Lottermoser
# ftp://ftp.sbs.de/pub/graphics/ghostscript/pcl3/pcl3.html
HPDJ_DRV=       hpdj-2.6.tar.gz
# contributed uniprint profiles
CONTRIB_UPP=    lqx70ch.upp lqx70cl.upp lqx70cm.upp \
                stc740ih.upp stc740p.upp stc740pl.upp

Before my holiday (next week) I will have the new release out.

One major feature (it has lots) will be, that you can choose printer driver
specific options via lpr%s -C option, i.e.:

 lpr -C glossy:high:present file

(use glossy paper, high resolution, presentation quality)

bin/apsfilter can easily be edited, to add further driver specific options,
I possibly forgot to add.

BTW, Matej Vela, Debians apsfilter port maintainer has joined the apsfilter
developement team yesterday. I hope that we%ll do a fine job for you all now
and in the future !

 Andreas ///