Re: Package Info

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 09:36:35PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> You can read the packages status file for information from
> /var/lib/dpkg/status.  This lists, IIRC, all packages available from
> your various apt sources, whether installed or not, and is somewhat more
> flexible than looking for the same information from dselect.

My impression is that the status file only contains info about packages
I ever expressed some interest in. My status file mentions 709 packages,
but the available file 2694.

All 'Status: ' lines with 'not-installed' in the status-file
say something like:
   install OK not-installed
   purge   OK not-installed
   hold    OK not-installed
but never something like:
   unknown .... not-installed

egbert
--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991