Re: ssh passphrase

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>That's what ssh-agent is for. You run ssh-agent and it will output environment
>variable for a unix domain socket. Then you run ssh-add and type in your passphrase.
>The ssh-agent caches your key and access is limited to your user (permissions on the
>unix socket). This is not secure enough for some of course.

Thanks Ben and Jens for your advice on this issue.  I have now got ssh-agent
working with support for X and non-X logins (/etc/profile checks whether
$DISPLAY is set to determine which alias to setup for ssh-add).
Now I have a problem though, sometimes a session gets killed without the
.logout running and the ssh-agent keeps running.
This is a problem as the machine in question could potentially be accessed by
an untrusted person and the ssh-agent contains the root password.  What I
would like to do is have the ssh-agent timeout after some time of inactivity
and/or a specified period of time.  Another thing I would like to do is have
a password get removed from the ssh-agent after a period of time.

Has anyone worked on any of these issues?  Does anyone have any code that may
help?

If no-one else has done any of this then I intend to write some support for
this myself.

Russell Coker

--
My current location - X marks the spot.