Re: rebooting as user

"Mullins, Ron" wrote:

> C-A-Rubout? What, pray tell, is Rubout? BTW: I use xdm, so I don't drop to a
> prompt or anything nice where I'm logged in.
>
> To Oswald: I have trusted users...but not all.
>
> To Marshal: Yes I added shutdown to a shutdown group and added users to that
> group. No joy.
>
> To Nate: I'm assuming that by GDM you mean Gnome? Yes, it's installed. Gnome
> guys should have the shutdown read shutdown.allow, huh?
>
> Please guys. How do YOU reboot, those of you who haft to. There has to be an
> easy way to let a DSU home user reboot while in transition. I don't want to
> hear, "I couldn't get anything done. You had the computer in Linux and I
> don't know how to restart it. Can't you just let me run Windows?"

Hallo,

I also have a wife and I also have the same problems. Reading the
man-page of the xdm I had an idea.

xdm runs several scripts. Some of the scripts run as root and that is
the point. Xsetup_0 runs when xdm displays the xlogin widget. Here I
call a script which looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

button=`/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -geometry +315+500 -print \
    -buttons shutdown:1,reboot \
    Explanation how to use or anything else`

case $button in
shutdown)
   /sbin/shutdown -h now
   ;;
reboot)
   /sbin/shutdown -r now
   ;;
esac

Xstartup_0 runs after a user has logged in successfully. Here I kill the
xmessage.
So in the xdm login screen I get a window which has two buttons, one to
shutdown and one to reboot. My wife has only to klick one of the
buttons.

My intention is to illustrate the way, you can reach the same with a
tcl/tk-script which looks more pretty.

regards
Klaus Duscher <klaus.duscher@gmx.de>