update/upgrade to frozen -> TRUBBLE

the saga enters a new chapter.

last week i did the apt-get dist-upgrade and all that,
and things were going along rather well until i rebooted
(says something for linux, that rebooting isn't a daily
or hourly necessity as it is on my mac and on most windon't
boxes)...

love the new console video modes, by the way! cool!

but allofasudden the appletalk daemon is broke, and MySQLd
won't launch.

here's the tail end of the startup messages on the console,
with commentary by me:

Running dns-clean.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
Setting up IP spoofing protection: ipfwadm.
Configuring network interfaces: done.
Initializing IP Masquerading...done.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.

>	isn't that backwards? kernel modules, THEN init masquerading?
>	i guess i gotta munge /etc/rc*d filenames...?

Recovering nvi editor sessions... done.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd klogd.
Starting kerneld, version 2.3.9 (pid 335)
Starting domain name service: named.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd done.
Setting NIS domainname to: serensoft.com
Starting NIS services: ypbind
alsactl not found, mixer settings will not be restored.

>	don't think this alsactl is a problem: looks like sound
>	as in x-windows, and i just want a server driven via console

Starting MTA: exim.
Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting isdn services :
 no ISDN cards configured! Please configure 'hisax' module with modconf
  (read /usr/share/doc/isdnutils/HOWTO.isdnutils.gz for more info).

>	guess i can just yank that--no isdn available

  Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.

>	MySQL was working fine until this very reboot

  Starting PostgreSQL postmaster
Starting internet redirection server: rinetd.
Starting System status server: rwhod.
Starting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while):socket: Invalid argument
socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
 atalkd afpd papd.

>	appletalk is down (griping twice about 'socket')
>	which in my environment is bad

 Starting professional ftp daemon: proftpd.
 Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
 Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
 Starting web server: apache.
 /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started

>	even this looks odd: apache used to start with the "Starting
>	web server: apache." line--now it's got an additional
>	"started" line...

======

what prompted the reboot, you ask?

i saw a post about cable-modems recommending the use of 'pump'
so i did 'apt-get install pump' which didn't quite get all
the way through its config, and then it hung up my telnet
session, bigger'n life. ^C, ^\, nothing worked except to
log in on the console and see (ps ax) that nothing was
happening, then try to 'kill -HUP' and then 'kill -9' the
task. even then, eth0 (internal/local network) was effectively
dead as a doornail.

i couldn't ping back or forth (from mac to linux or back)
thus ipforwarding was also dead. so at the console i did
'apt-get --purge remove pump', renamed startup scripts
/etc/rc[S].d/S*pump to s*pump and then restarted (init 6).

at least local http serving is operational, and i hope to
have the ipmasq working before too long...

======
fyi:

# dmesg | grep eth
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 60 8c 82 c4 59,
IRQ 10.
eth1: 3c509 at 0x340 tag 2, 10baseT port, address  00 60 97 1e 67 fd,
IRQ 11.
eth1: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 0 addresses.
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:8C:82:C4:59
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300
>	normally eth1 has another status line reflecting
>	appletalk activity, of course

# ifconfig eth1
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:1E:67:FD
          inet addr:208.33.90.85  Bcast:208.33.90.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x340
======

so, did pump kill appletalk and mysql?