Re: connect to Internet via cable modem

Matthew Quigley <mattq@kc.rr.com> writes:

> Any thought on how I can do this?  Any packages out there to do this?

     1.  Read /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/Cable-Modem.txt.gz (from
the Package: doc-linux-text package.

     2.  Get and install an ethernet card (often the cable ISP will
provide this) and compile a kernel with support for this card.

     3.  Install the dhcp-client package.  (This worked for me - some
people recommend the pump package as an alternate.)

     4.  Have the cable provider make the installation, which usually
includes providing and installing a cable modem.

     In my case (with Adelphia Power Link) that was all.  I did not
have to configure dhcp-client at all.  YMMV :-)

     Most cable providers installers and tech-support people don't
know anything about Linux.  You have to tell them that you can handle
it all after they get the cable modem properly hooked up and working.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@debian.org>