Re: ppp-compress-1 strangeness

> After the connection has been established, I get this:
> modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-1

I haven't seen that one before... are you sure it isn't asking for
ppp-compress-21?  Anyway, here are my ppp-compress-* entries:

     alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
     alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
     alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

You should probably add all three to your /etc/modutils/aliases file
(possibly also "alias ppp-compress-1 off", if that really is what it's
looking for).  Make sure you run /sbin/update-modules afterward.

Cheers!