Re: Trying to run one process as root, how?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:17:00PM -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
> > since I believe if you use "+root" you would be allowing the root user
> > on any other system to connect to your X server as well.
>
> Actually, you will be allowing any user on system 'root' to connect.

Not according to the xhost man page:

       The  xhost program is used to add and delete host names or
       user names to the list allowed to make connections to  the
       X  server.

       [+]name The  given  name  (the  plus  sign is optional) is
               added to the list allowed  to  connect  to  the  X
               server.   The  name  can  be a host name or a user
               name.

I wouldn't recommend any of these as a matter of policy, but for
momentarily starting up a root-owned X client it's usually acceptable.
As you mention, depends on the system and whether you have other local
users.