Re: Trying to run one process as root, how?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Jim Breton wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:17:00PM -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
> > > since I believe if you use "+root" you would be allowing the root user
> > > on any other system to connect to your X server as well.
> >
> > Actually, you will be allowing any user on system 'root' to connect.
>
> Not according to the xhost man page:

I think you have misinterpreted the man page.  You can only add users if
you are authenticating via kerberos or NIS.  In that case, you would have
to specify 'xhost +nis:root@' to get the desired behavior.  And it won't
work (i.e. grant anybody any access) unless you have Secure RPC.  If you
just specify a single word, xhost will assume you mean a network system
and in fact it will give an error if you just type 'xhost +root' and there
is no system called 'root' on your network.

(Yes, the man page is magically obscure on this point :} )