Re: ...diald.fifo -- can I use this...?

In article <[🔎] 20000413124924.A2179@wellnow.com> you write:
>When 'diald' runs, it creates /var/run/diald.fifo and diald.pid.
>
>The accompanying X monitoring/control program, 'dctrl', evidently gets
>its information by way of diald.fifo.
>
>Is there some way I can engage in conversation (or eavesdropping) with
>diald.fifo, so that I can see on a designated tty screen the same stuff
>'dctrl' displays on its X window...?

Yes. It's quite easy. You give commands to diald through the fifo,
e.g. on my local diald box I have a script that basically does:

echo up >/var/run/diald/diald.fifo

to cause the link to come up. If you want to see what dctrl sees, you
have to create another fifo and send a command to diald to tell it to
log to that fifo. Be aware that you must have a reader running on it
first, or diald will give up on it.

I have a logging program here that basically does:

rm -f /tmp/diald.log
mkfifo -m 600 /tmp/diald.log
cat </tmp/diald.log &
sleep 1
echo "monitor /tmp/diald.log" >/var/run/diald/diald.fifo

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on