Re: Trying to run one process as root, how?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Jim Breton wrote:

> That should work, but what I usually do is:
>
> xhost +localhost
>
> since I believe if you use "+root" you would be allowing the root user
> on any other system to connect to your X server as well.

Actually, you will be allowing any user on system 'root' to connect.  This
is almost certainly not what you want.

xhost +localhost will work, but it will allow any process belonging to any
user on your local box to connect to your X server.  This is bad because
then they can do things like watch your keystrokes, etc.  If you trust
your users it will not be a problem.  The previously mentioned Xauthority
fix is the best, but the most cumbersome.