Re: sources of debian apps: is there a standard place?

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 10:54:17AM +0200, Ron Rademaker wrote:
> Why do you want the source packages? For almost evry package you can find
> a .deb, which is a lot esier then compiling.

I'm a programmer.  I compile for fun :-)
I've already installed from .deb; I wanted to look at the
source code for these packages.

> I put my source code (only kernels actually) in /usr/src
---end quoted text---

Thanks - it's always nice to see how other programmers do things.
I'm a big believer in peer reviews, looking at other people's
code and having them look at mine.  You don't learn much by
just looking at your own code all the time.

Besides, what's the point of distributing source code if
no one's going to look at it?  I quite believe that
linux may not have a lot of viruses yet, but soon, as the
number of people grows who install and run stuff without ever
looking at source code, then linux and other open-source
stuff will also start to suffer from viruses, trojans,
etc.

--
bjb@achilles.net