encrypted files system

Hola~

I would like to have a portion of my filesystem encrypted. I've got a
laptop, and I'd like to protect a portion of the filesystem on the off
chance someone steals my laptop. Essentially, I'd like to have a password
required to access a dir and all subdirs. The dir contains code, so it's not
feasible to compress the subdir, encrypt the compressed file, and then
decrypt | uncompress specific files.

Is there a way or application that anyone knows that can do this?

MO