sources of debian apps: is there a standard place?

I noticed when trying to unpack some sources to miscellaneous
debian apps (setserial, silo) that I had to specify the
destination (unlike installing binaries, which go
to standard places like /bin, /usr/bin, etc).

In RedHat, those source packages get unpacked into a standard
/usr/src/redhat hierarchy.

Is there any similar place in debian for these sources, or
do people put them where they feel like?  If I put
them in /usr/src/debian, is that a Bad Idea?  Where
should I put them (probably my home directory or
/usr/local/src, I'm guessing)?

What do you-all do?

--
bjb@achilles.net