Re: Gnome desktop

sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro) writes:

> I think I am already doing that, althought I may not have done it
> correctly. I edited "Xsession" and added the lines:
> fvwm2 &
> exec /usr/bin/gnome-session
> I also tried adding the line:
> gmc &
> but that didn't make any difference.
> Did I leave something out, or do I need to do this differently?

If this doesn't help, you might try gdm, the GNOME graphical login,
which should do all without any help of .xsession (this would be the
correct name of your personal X init file in Debian) or other magical
formulas.

Beware, you should set your environment variabels in a file
$HOME/.gnomerc. Error messages will show up in
$HOME/.gnome-errors. Before logging in, choose "Gnome session" from
the menu entries above the input field. Works great here.

Hope it helps,
joachim