Re: Gnome desktop

sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro) writes:

> I installed Debian (slink) and the X Window system. My "manual" that came
> with the CD, "Learning Debian Gnu/Linux" has a section on using GNOME.
>
> Most of the things they refer to are there, but two are missing: home
> directory icon and File Manager. I suspect they didn't get installed. I
> used dselect to check the CD Rom, but I can't find any Gnome related files
> that are uninstalled.
>
> Are they listed under another name? Is there some other way to complete
> the installation? I kind of enjoy using Gnome, and I would like to find
> and install the rest of it.

You might want to consider using a recent GNOME-version.
Helixcode provides a very easy way to install a recent version.
I believe it's http://www.helixcode.com. There is a graphical tool which
"guides you through the installation-process".
The new version 1.1.x (beta) is a bit faster, and you can choose a size for the
panel. It might not be as stable as 1.0.x.

--
Felix Natter