Re: generating changelog files

In article <[🔎] 14581.8271.813936.747084@gargle.gargle.HOWL> you wrote:

> I briefly looked at the man page for cvs-buildpackage and it does a lot
> of stuff! The only thing is that I am not interested in building debian
> packages but maybe in building source tarballs. Can cvs-buildpackage
> build source tarballs and manage the changelog generation ?

Well, I've gone at this a little differently.  debs are just archives.
'ar x' will split a deb to the source tarball and some control files.
But learning how to make a deb would be overkill for what you want.

> What perl scripts were you talking about ?

Yow.  I assumed these were perl but they're shell scripts --
cvs-inject, cvs-co-upgrade and so on.  Manoj is a glutton for
punishment.

> A while back, I read on this list about some debian package(s) (wasn't
> cvs-buildpackage) that helped in generating and managing changelog
> files. But I can't recall the name of the package or track down the
> thread in the list archives.

I've heard complaints about the mailing list search.  -user and -devel
are archived by dejanews as linux.debian.* .  You might have more
luck with your search there.